Software License
Mentalis.org Buttons
Donate

Forums -> Security Library Forum

.NET 2.0 compatibility  
by Yves Goergen [nospam dot list at unclassified dot de]
posted on 2005/12/01

Hi,
I'm currently looking around for technology pieces that I can use in a later net project. That will require TLS support and I found this library. Now I wanted to test some examples in VS 2005 (.NET 2.0) but it shows a lot of build errors. I could resolve the first some of them (naming ambiguities with "HMAC") but I'm not sure if I can fix all of those bugs. As I'm not going to use .NET 1.x, I'd need this classes to work in .NET 2.0.

Are there any plans to make them compatible with the current .NET framework? It would be sad if no because this one seems to be the only free SSL/TLS implementation for .NET.

And another small question: Will TLS support be available on other platforms than Windows using mono? I read that the classes use Windows DLLs somewhere on this forum, which would be a bad idea for multi-platform support of course...

by Yves Goergen
posted on 2005/12/01

I've done some further investigation and have learned about a new C# language construct: "using alias = type;" I have now added this line:
using HMAC = Org.Mentalis.Security.Cryptography.HMAC;
in the files Security/ExpansionDeriveBytes.cs and Security/Tls1CipherSuites.cs to compile the Smtp-Demo application. If there should occur other name ambiguities between a Org.Mentalis and a System namespace, adding this or a similar line could help.

by Pieter Philippaerts [Pieter at mentalis dot org]
posted on 2005/12/03

The Security Library isn't meant for .NET 2.0. This new version of the framework contains most of the functionality that we provide in our library.

If you need TLS support in .NET 2.0, take a look at the SslStream class.

by Yves Goergen
posted on 2005/12/03

Wow, thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware that .NET 2 already has these features.

by bonstio [spam at bonstio dot net]
posted on 2005/12/15

As far as I can see, the SSLStream class in the .NET 2.0 framwork does not support aes256. It will happily use rc4-128 but I cannot persuade it to use more secure ciphers :(

posted on 2005/12/15

As far as I can see, the SSLStream class in the .NET 2.0 framwork does not support aes256. It will happily use rc4-128 but I cannot persuade it to use more secure ciphers :(

by Pieter Philippaerts [Pieter at mentalis dot org]
posted on 2005/12/21

That's correct; the SslStream class uses the Windows CryptoAPI, and the CryptoAPI doesn't support the AES standard for SSL. Technically, the AES cipher suite is an addition of the SSL/TLS standard. Perhaps it will be available in future versions of Windows (and hence .NET), although I don't think Windows Vista supports it already.

posted on 2006/02/15

That's interesting - if disappointing but thx for clarifying.

Copyright © 2002-2007, The Mentalis.org Team. All rights reserved.
This site is located at http://www.mentalis.org/
Send comments to the webmaster.