Top Downloads
Message Board
AllAPI.net

Send Comments
Software License
Mentalis.org Buttons
Donate

Forums -> Security Library Forum

CryptoAPI cryptographic service provider (CSP) for this implementation could not be acquired  
by Pablo Abad [pabad at fibertel dot com dot ar]
posted on 2004/11/30

I'm trying to build an application (interactive, it is running under a normal account) that communicates to a server using SSL.
When I try to connect I get the exception (taken from the sample http client):

Exception occurred while sending: Org.Mentalis.Security.SecurityException: An error occurs while communicating with the remote host. --->
System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: CryptoAPI cryptographic service provider (CSP) for this implementation could not be acquired.
at System.Security.Cryptography.RSACryptoServiceProvider..ctor(Int32 dwKeySize, CspParameters parameters, Boolean useDefaultKeySize)
at Org.Mentalis.Security.Certificates.Certificate.get_PublicKey()
at Org.Mentalis.Security.Ssl.Shared.ClientHandshakeLayer.ProcessServerHelloDone(HandshakeMessage message)
at Org.Mentalis.Security.Ssl.Shared.ClientHandshakeLayer.ProcessMessage(HandshakeMessage message)
at Org.Mentalis.Security.Ssl.Shared.HandshakeLayer.ProcessMessages(RecordMessage message)
at Org.Mentalis.Security.Ssl.Shared.RecordLayer.ProcessBytes(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at Org.Mentalis.Security.Ssl.Shared.CompatibilityLayer.ProcessServerHello(Byte[] bytes, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at Org.Mentalis.Security.Ssl.Shared.CompatibilityLayer.ProcessHello(Byte[] bytes, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at Org.Mentalis.Security.Ssl.Shared.SocketController.OnReceive(IAsyncResult ar)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Org.Mentalis.Security.Ssl.SecureSocket.EndSend(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at Org.Mentalis.Security.Ssl.SecureSocket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at WebClient.DownloadFile(Url url, SecureProtocol sp) in c:\a\seclib-1.0\samples\ssl\webclient\webclient.cs:line 176

On the other server I receive an error saying that the connection was abruptly closed during the initial handshake.

I've tried both with the precompiled dll v1.0.13.709 and the source code. I've tried running the sample http client and it's gving me the same error.
The computer were this is running is Windows 2000, with .NET 1.1, as a normal user. The security of the workstation is pretty tight so there may be access restrictions causing this (though I don't really know were to look for).

I've seen this problem, but only for services running under the system account, so I'm clueless on what ay be happening.
Any idea on what can I try/look for?

by Pieter Philippaerts [Pieter at mentalis dot org]
posted on 2005/01/08

Can you test your application with the latest version of our library [v1.0.13.711]. We've made some changes that could have resolved this problem.

Copyright © 2002-2007, The Mentalis.org Team. All rights reserved.
This site is located at http://www.mentalis.org/
Send comments to the webmaster.