Send Comments
Software License
Mentalis.org Buttons
Donate

Forums -> Security Library Forum

Project build quirk  
by Dann Daggett [dann at exposim dot com]
posted on 2003/12/15

I'm using Visual C# .NET 7.1 and I'm having a problem getting one of my projects to build in release mode, yet it builds in debug mode.

It complains about the namespace "Org" can not be found.

If I exit out of VS and come back in, opening the project, this VS error is displayed:

"Cannot copy assembly 'Org.Mentalis.Security' to file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Dann\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\DdrmClient\bin\Release\Org.Mentalis.Security.dll'. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

I have 3 projects in the one solution, and each references the Org security lib. I also have the files of all 3 projects located in the same folder because there are many classes used by all projects and this allows me to reference the same exact code. (Seems the VS's default action for a project is to place it in a new sub-folder and copy all the files to each, making duplicates).

I'm wondering if there's something in the Mentalis security lib that doesn't like this layout?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thank you.
Dann

by Pieter Philippaerts [Pieter at mentalis dot org]
posted on 2003/12/15

I've never encountered this error before, but it sounds like a Visual Studio problem [bug?]...
Have you tried deleting the 'obj' and 'bin' directories?

Perhaps you should redirect your question to the microsoft.public.dotnet.general newsgroup - there's a good chance that they can help you further. Another option is the VS.NET forum at GotDotNet: http://www.gotdotnet.com/Community/MessageBoard/MessageBoard.aspx?ID=126

by Dann Daggett [dann at exposim dot com]
posted on 2003/12/15

Actually, I've done some more testing and found that if I deleted the reference in the configuration manager, then add it back in, it will compile in release mode, but not in debug mode any more. I have to keep changing the setting each time I want to build in the other mode.

I'll also post to the other groups as you've suggested. I tend to agree with you that this is probably a VS issue.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Dann

by christopher
posted on 2005/03/29

If you have every project outputing to the same dir, you will get that DLL locking problem. Its some VS bug. =/

Copyright © 2002-2007, The Mentalis.org Team. All rights reserved.
This site is located at http://www.mentalis.org/
Send comments to the webmaster.